Whilst our shop makes us a little different from the average farm, we’re still very much a working farm.
West Craigie is a 260 acre arable farm; this means that we have no livestock.
So, What Do We Grow?
As well as growing crops for you to pick, or to buy ready picked, we also grow crops such as:
Soft fruit – we grow a large range of soft fruits in tunnels and outdoors.
We use polytunnels to protect our crop and it also enables us to spread the season. (We also use bees to do the pollination - you can buy some delicious local honey in the shop.)
Vegetables – in the last few years, we’ve expanded the range of vegetables we grow. For example, beans, peas, cabbages, beetroot, squashes of all shapes and sizes and lots more.
Cereals – West Craigie is a good wheat farm, the main cereal that we grow. The wheat is sold to local mills for flour or animal feed. We keep a small amount of the straw for our strawberries; the rest is sold to a local stock farmer. We also grow Spring Barley which is sold to make Whisky.
Potatoes –we used to grow our own potatoes, but due to the large investment needed for equipment, we now rent some land to a local farmer to grow his potatoes. He gets good ground and we get a great crop of wheat after it!
Fallow –We fallow some ground every year to rest the ground from intensive farming. Furthermore, it gives the birds good nesting sites, we can control weeds without relying on selective herbicides and it gives a good crop of wheat the following year.
To find out what’s in season click here
Like generations of farmers, part of daily work involves managing the countryside, such us planting hedges, creating beetle banks, sowing area of wild flower meadow etc.
Linking the environment and farming – LEAF. We are members of this organisation and are working towards obtaining the LEAF marquee. To find out more, visit www.leafuk.org
In short, we are committed to farming with nature whilst having a sustainable future.
On your next visit, why not take a stroll around the farm to see the work we do. Any questions about what is going on, just ask.
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Mothers Day Hampers At Craigie's!
If you're struggling for ideas this year, why not treat her to one of our hampers!
We have plenty ready made hampers to choose from including jam & chutney hampers and gin hampers!
If you want to make it extra special though, you can make up your own hamper filled with all her favourite things!
What would you put in your mum's hamper?
Ask a member of staff on your next visit for more info!
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe We would like to say a big thank you to Clermiston Primary School for sending us this lovely letter - we are glad to hear you have raised so much for the benefit of the children’s education!
We hope you can continue on your road of success!
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe It's Thursday morning which means only one thing - Cake of the Week!
This week we have our deliciously delightful Malteser Cake (which just happens to be a personal favourite of mine!)
Hands up if you agree!
We hope you can pop down soon for slice or 2..!
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Enjoy 7 Items from Our Butchery Counter for only £26
Everyone loves a Pick n Mix… so don’t miss the fantastic offer on our butchery counter!
For only £26, you can choose any 7 items from this list! It’s the perfect way to stock up your freezer or great if you cooking for lots of people!
Rab’s tip – make sure you include the Angus steak and Lorne olives – just delicious!
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe For your information... Unfortunately we have been experiencing some issues with our phones (we apologise if you have tried to get in touch!) However, we are currently working on getting the problem fixed and the phones should be back to normal again this afternoon! In the meantime, if you need to contact us for any reason, please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org days ago
- Find us on Facebook