Whilst our shop makes us a little different from the average farm, we’re still very much a working farm.
West Craigie is a 260 acre arable farm; this means that we have no livestock.
So, What Do We Grow?
As well as growing crops for you to pick, or to buy ready picked, we also grow crops such as:
Soft fruit – we grow a large range of soft fruits in tunnels and outdoors.
We use polytunnels to protect our crop and it also enables us to spread the season. (We also use bees to do the pollination - you can buy some delicious local honey in the shop.)
Vegetables – in the last few years, we’ve expanded the range of vegetables we grow. For example, beans, peas, cabbages, beetroot, squashes of all shapes and sizes and lots more.
Cereals – West Craigie is a good wheat farm, the main cereal that we grow. The wheat is sold to local mills for flour or animal feed. We keep a small amount of the straw for our strawberries; the rest is sold to a local stock farmer. We also grow Spring Barley which is sold to make Whisky.
Potatoes –we used to grow our own potatoes, but due to the large investment needed for equipment, we now rent some land to a local farmer to grow his potatoes. He gets good ground and we get a great crop of wheat after it!
Fallow –We fallow some ground every year to rest the ground from intensive farming. Furthermore, it gives the birds good nesting sites, we can control weeds without relying on selective herbicides and it gives a good crop of wheat the following year.
To find out what’s in season click here
Like generations of farmers, part of daily work involves managing the countryside, such us planting hedges, creating beetle banks, sowing area of wild flower meadow etc.
Linking the environment and farming – LEAF. We are members of this organisation and are working towards obtaining the LEAF marquee. To find out more, visit www.leafuk.org
In short, we are committed to farming with nature whilst having a sustainable future.
On your next visit, why not take a stroll around the farm to see the work we do. Any questions about what is going on, just ask.
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Craigie's Gift Ideas We've got a great selection of toys available in the shop - and don't forget to ask about gift vouchers too!3 hours ago
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe There's still time to place your Hamper Offer and be in the chance of winning your hamper offer for free!8 hours ago
- Mary Whaley Hi, Is Santa visiting Craigies this year? I can't find any info on your website. Thanks19 hours ago
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Today's featured hamper is our Gin Lovers Hamper - £49.99 Including; Spencerfield Edinburgh Gin 20cl, Spencerfield Elderflower Edinburgh Gin 20cl, Spencerfield Spiced Orange Edinburgh Gin 20cl & Spencerfield Raspberry Edinburgh Gin 20cl Follow this link for more information and to order: http://ow.ly/rr6vh20 hours ago
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Please complete our survey - and be entered in a prize draw for a Hamper worth £50! We are always looking at how we can do things better at Craigie's. The best ideas have come from our customers so we would love it if you can take a few minutes to complete this short survey.about a day ago
- Find us on Facebook