Whilst our shop makes us a little different from the average farm, we’re still very much a working farm.
West Craigie is a 260 acre arable farm; this means that we have no livestock.
So, What Do We Grow?
As well as growing crops for you to pick, or to buy ready picked, we also grow crops such as:
Soft fruit – we grow a large range of soft fruits in tunnels and outdoors.
We use polytunnels to protect our crop and it also enables us to spread the season. (We also use bees to do the pollination - you can buy some delicious local honey in the shop.)
Vegetables – in the last few years, we’ve expanded the range of vegetables we grow. For example, beans, peas, cabbages, beetroot, squashes of all shapes and sizes and lots more.
Cereals – West Craigie is a good wheat farm, the main cereal that we grow. The wheat is sold to local mills for flour or animal feed. We keep a small amount of the straw for our strawberries; the rest is sold to a local stock farmer. We also grow Spring Barley which is sold to make Whisky.
Potatoes –we used to grow our own potatoes, but due to the large investment needed for equipment, we now rent some land to a local farmer to grow his potatoes. He gets good ground and we get a great crop of wheat after it!
Fallow –We fallow some ground every year to rest the ground from intensive farming. Furthermore, it gives the birds good nesting sites, we can control weeds without relying on selective herbicides and it gives a good crop of wheat the following year.
To find out what’s in season click here
Like generations of farmers, part of daily work involves managing the countryside, such us planting hedges, creating beetle banks, sowing area of wild flower meadow etc.
Linking the environment and farming – LEAF. We are members of this organisation and are working towards obtaining the LEAF marquee. To find out more, visit www.leafuk.org
In short, we are committed to farming with nature whilst having a sustainable future.
On your next visit, why not take a stroll around the farm to see the work we do. Any questions about what is going on, just ask.
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Still to buy your turkey?
We have 25% off our turkey breasts and crowns! That means you can enjoy your boneless turkey for only £8.95 per kilo! What a Christmas bargain!
Pop along to our butchery counter (which is full to the brim!) and place your order today!
- Donna Lumsden Thanks very much to all the wonderful people at Craigie's. Our second year at breakfast with santa and this one was looked forward to by kids and mum alike after such a great event last year. You did not disappoint! Thanks for a very special Morning of delicious food and magical memories. In fact, thanks for a year full of great memories - from what's growing on the farm, to the pumpkin festival, to santa breakfast, Craigie's has featured in a few of our family outings in 2014. So thanks for doing what you do so well. Have a very merry Christmas and see you in 2015!about a day ago
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Make sure you are organised for New Year's Day and order your Steak Pie today!
Our Steak Pies are made with succulent chunks of Auchtertool Angus Beef in a rich gravy with handmade Artisan pastry - delicious!
And our friends at the Buffalo Farm have hidden a £50 note in 2 of our Steak Pies! So order yours today to be in with the chance of a lovely surprise on the 1st January!
Head to our online order form and place your order now!
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe If you still have some last minute essentials to get before Christmas day, Rab has the butchery counter well stocked for any bits and bobs you may require!
Also, don't forget your cakes for the big day, vegetables (especially the brussel sprouts!) and your cheese board! We have a great selection of Scottish cheese to choose from!
We looking forward to seeing you over the next few days!
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Looking for some inspiration for Christmas presents?
We now stock a range of award winning Bolney Wines from a wine estate in Sussex and their sparkling wine is particularly successful! These are a must have item on your Christmas list!
We have also started stocking Arbikie Potato Vodka which has been produced here in Scotland from 3 types of potatoes!
Both would make great Christmas gifts! (We think so anyway!)
- Find us on Facebook