Whilst our shop makes us a little different from the average farm, we’re still very much a working farm.
West Craigie is a 260 acre arable farm; this means that we have no livestock.
So, What Do We Grow?
As well as growing crops for you to pick, or to buy ready picked, we also grow crops such as:
Soft fruit – we grow a large range of soft fruits in tunnels and outdoors.
We use polytunnels to protect our crop and it also enables us to spread the season. (We also use bees to do the pollination - you can buy some delicious local honey in the shop.)
Vegetables – in the last few years, we’ve expanded the range of vegetables we grow. For example, beans, peas, cabbages, beetroot, squashes of all shapes and sizes and lots more.
Cereals – West Craigie is a good wheat farm, the main cereal that we grow. The wheat is sold to local mills for flour or animal feed. We keep a small amount of the straw for our strawberries; the rest is sold to a local stock farmer. We also grow Spring Barley which is sold to make Whisky.
Potatoes –we used to grow our own potatoes, but due to the large investment needed for equipment, we now rent some land to a local farmer to grow his potatoes. He gets good ground and we get a great crop of wheat after it!
Fallow –We fallow some ground every year to rest the ground from intensive farming. Furthermore, it gives the birds good nesting sites, we can control weeds without relying on selective herbicides and it gives a good crop of wheat the following year.
To find out what’s in season click here
Like generations of farmers, part of daily work involves managing the countryside, such us planting hedges, creating beetle banks, sowing area of wild flower meadow etc.
Linking the environment and farming – LEAF. We are members of this organisation and are working towards obtaining the LEAF marquee. To find out more, visit www.leafuk.org
In short, we are committed to farming with nature whilst having a sustainable future.
On your next visit, why not take a stroll around the farm to see the work we do. Any questions about what is going on, just ask.
What's Going On
Pick Your Own
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe It's that time again!
Our Cake of the Week this week is our delicious Plum Frangipane Tart - yum!
Come along and treat yourself to a piece!
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe A Friend With Benefits...
That's how we refer to the delicious, and not to mention nutritious, vegetable that is Kale!
With one portion (67g) providing:
Vitamin A: 206% of the RDA
Vitamin K: 684% of the RDA
Vitamin C: 134% of the RDA
(And only has 33 calories too!)
There is no doubt that Kale is packed with a whole lot of goodness! And at only £4.50/kg at Craigies, it is cheaper than at the supermarkets!!
- Megan Welford Hi there Craigie's, I wrote this blog post about our lovely afternoon of fruit picking - thank you!
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Another fantastic offer from Rab in our Butchery department.
We may not have had BBQ weather this summer but these marinated chicken packs are every bit as tasty in the oven
Pick up a pack today
- Fresh r-evol-ution New blog post all about our Fringe food activities! Enjoy. Special thanks to all our suppliers: East Coast Organics Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Phantassie Farm Oxenfoord Organics - Organic Veg Boxes Lothians Mr. Eion: Coffee Roaster Smashin' Eggs Tasty Buns Bakery Peelham Farm Edinburgh Farmers' Market Stockbridge Market The Buffalo Farm Real Foods Crombies of Edinburgh George Bower Butchers
- Find us on Facebook