A Long Family Tradition
The Sinclairs have been farming for over 200 years.
My great grandfather, George Sinclair came to the Home Farm, Dalmeny in 1892 as the farm manager. His son John (Jack) took over as Lord Rosebery’s manager in 1931 until he died in 1952.
My father, George (the Sinclair’s have never been adventurous with names!), was only 14 when his father died so he was a bit young to follow in his father’s footsteps.
However, when he was only 18 Lord Rosebery gave him the tenancy of Bankhead Farm where he farmed for 10 years before getting the tenancy of West Craigie in 1966.
West Craigie was originally a dairy farm, selling milk direct to customers in Edinburgh. As the dairy industry became less profitable, my father gave up the dairy.
We started growing fruit in the mid 80’s, encouraged and helped by a friend from Alyth. A small farm shop sold fruit, potatoes, jams and not much more, if we were there customers got served!
In the early 90’s, we converted a barn for more space to sell our own vegetables and ever-increasing range of jams. The shop was only open six months of the year.
Sadly my father died in 1995, but I, have continued to ‘grow the seeds’ planted by his efforts and energies.
These days, we’re open all year round and produce our own fruit for nearly half the year.
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe If you're planning on popping in this weekend, make sure you pick up some fresh rhubarb! Looks like Spring may be just around the corner after all...7 hours ago
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Thinking about going out for lunch this weekend? Why not pop in to Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe where we source most of our ingredients from our own farm shop! Click on the link to browse our menus and see if anything takes your fancy. We even have a menu for dogs so they can come along too! Menus12 hours ago
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Remember it's British Pie week this week and we have lots going on in our farm shop and cafe. We have tastings of Simple Simon pies and few unexpected pies such as pork & rhubarb, pork, Stornaway black pudding & smoked cheese pies on our deli counter, freshly made in our kitchen! Pie week finishes on Sunday so make sure you visit and try our delicious pies before they're gone!about a day ago
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Hoping to pop into see us this weekend? Make sure you check out our new range of herbs from the 'Secret Herb Garden'! They are a local supplier from the outskirts of Edinburgh and they grow almost every herb you can think of! You'll be sure to find the perfect accompaniment to any dish!2 days ago
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe We still have loads of pies left for British pie week! We'll be doing hot tastings of our Simple Simon pies - you can buy these in the shop too. Check out our deli where we will be selling lots of weird and wonderful pies. We're also going to be making home made picnic pies! We hope to see you soon!2 days ago
- Find us on Facebook