A Long Family Tradition
The Sinclairs have been farming for over 200 years.
My great grandfather, George Sinclair came to the Home Farm, Dalmeny in 1892 as the farm manager. His son John (Jack) took over as Lord Rosebery’s manager in 1931 until he died in 1952.
My father, George (the Sinclair’s have never been adventurous with names!), was only 14 when his father died so he was a bit young to follow in his father’s footsteps.
However, when he was only 18 Lord Rosebery gave him the tenancy of Bankhead Farm where he farmed for 10 years before getting the tenancy of West Craigie in 1966.
West Craigie was originally a dairy farm, selling milk direct to customers in Edinburgh. As the dairy industry became less profitable, my father gave up the dairy.
We started growing fruit in the mid 80’s, encouraged and helped by a friend from Alyth. A small farm shop sold fruit, potatoes, jams and not much more, if we were there customers got served!
In the early 90’s, we converted a barn for more space to sell our own vegetables and ever-increasing range of jams. The shop was only open six months of the year.
Sadly my father died in 1995, but I, have continued to ‘grow the seeds’ planted by his efforts and energies.
These days, we’re open all year round and produce our own fruit for nearly half the year.
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Mothers Day Hampers At Craigie's!
If you're struggling for ideas this year, why not treat her to one of our hampers!
We have plenty ready made hampers to choose from including jam & chutney hampers and gin hampers!
If you want to make it extra special though, you can make up your own hamper filled with all her favourite things!
What would you put in your mum's hamper?
Ask a member of staff on your next visit for more info!
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe We would like to say a big thank you to Clermiston Primary School for sending us this lovely letter - we are glad to hear you have raised so much for the benefit of the children’s education!
We hope you can continue on your road of success!
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe It's Thursday morning which means only one thing - Cake of the Week!
This week we have our deliciously delightful Malteser Cake (which just happens to be a personal favourite of mine!)
Hands up if you agree!
We hope you can pop down soon for slice or 2..!
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Enjoy 7 Items from Our Butchery Counter for only £26
Everyone loves a Pick n Mix… so don’t miss the fantastic offer on our butchery counter!
For only £26, you can choose any 7 items from this list! It’s the perfect way to stock up your freezer or great if you cooking for lots of people!
Rab’s tip – make sure you include the Angus steak and Lorne olives – just delicious!
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe For your information... Unfortunately we have been experiencing some issues with our phones (we apologise if you have tried to get in touch!) However, we are currently working on getting the problem fixed and the phones should be back to normal again this afternoon! In the meantime, if you need to contact us for any reason, please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org days ago
- Find us on Facebook