A Long Family Tradition
The Sinclairs have been farming for over 200 years.
My great grandfather, George Sinclair came to the Home Farm, Dalmeny in 1892 as the farm manager. His son John (Jack) took over as Lord Rosebery’s manager in 1931 until he died in 1952.
My father, George (the Sinclair’s have never been adventurous with names!), was only 14 when his father died so he was a bit young to follow in his father’s footsteps.
However, when he was only 18 Lord Rosebery gave him the tenancy of Bankhead Farm where he farmed for 10 years before getting the tenancy of West Craigie in 1966.
West Craigie was originally a dairy farm, selling milk direct to customers in Edinburgh. As the dairy industry became less profitable, my father gave up the dairy.
We started growing fruit in the mid 80’s, encouraged and helped by a friend from Alyth. A small farm shop sold fruit, potatoes, jams and not much more, if we were there customers got served!
In the early 90’s, we converted a barn for more space to sell our own vegetables and ever-increasing range of jams. The shop was only open six months of the year.
Sadly my father died in 1995, but I, have continued to ‘grow the seeds’ planted by his efforts and energies.
These days, we’re open all year round and produce our own fruit for nearly half the year.
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe CRAIGIES NOMINATED FOR BBC RADIO 4 AWARDS We have received a few emails and messages from clients saying they have nominated Craigies for ‘The Radio 4 You and Yours Best Food Retailer’ on the BBC Food Award for 2015. If you would like to help us with a few more, we would be very grateful. Thanks again for all your support John Food and Farming Awards - BBC Food & Farming Awards - Nominate here - BBC Radio 4
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe We still have amazing discounts on our own Craigie's Pork!
Don't miss out - pop in this weekend and treat yourself to some delicious pork, produced right here on the farm!
Make sure to ask our butcher about our Pork Taster Packs too!
Only available while stocks last - why not stock up and keep some in the freezer?
- Vohn's Vittles Just tried Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe new handmade courgette and couscous fritters. Packed full of delicious flavours with a wicked kick of chilli!
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe If you're heading out for lunch today, we'll be serving our delicious Steak Pie in the cafe!
Our tasty steak pie is made from succulent steak covered in our own gravy and slow cooked for a minimum of 14 hours - topped with handmade artisan pastry! Delicious!
We hope to see you soon!
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe If you're popping in this weekend remember to pick up some of our delicious apple juice!
For the month of January, you can enjoy 4 bottles of our apple juice for only £10!
Made right here on the farm from our own apple orchard, we have 4 different flavours to choose from including Red Devil, Falstaff, Three Apple Blended Juice and Russet.
But be quick, this offer is only available until Saturday 31st January!
- Find us on Facebook