Edinburgh Cake Ladies cake accident
Last night I was lucky enough to attend another gathering of the Edinburgh Cake Ladies at Craigie’s Farm. I’ll be writing a post with all the photos later tonight but wanted to share my misfortune just now.
My St Clement’s cake has been the subject of many issues over the last few days. When making the cakes on Monday night, I accidentally dropped a bit of egg shell into the mixer while it was on. Instead of turning the mixers off straight away I panicked and turned the dial to full speed, spreading tiny bits of egg shell throughout the mixture. Time to start again!
Then on Tuesday night I got a tad distracted while making sugar coated oranges and lemons to decorate the cake which resulted in some very sad, slightly caramelised citrus fruits! Time to improvise!
But after two evenings (and a few challenges) my cake was ready to go. With the orange and lemon cakes sandwiched together with lemon curd, orange curd and mascapone cream, it was finally complete. Off to Craigie’s we went!
The cake was devoured with only one slice remaining at the end of the night. In a haze of other people’s stunning cakes I completely forgot about taking my own cake home and had already filled my Tupperware with other people’s delicious cakes. The remains of my cake would have to survive on the front seat of my car without Tupperware protection…which of course it didn’t!
I may have braked a little suddenly at a junction on the way home! Let’s just say I had to do a bit of unexpected cleaning last night!
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Have you tried our Afternoon Tea menu? Served daily Monday - Friday, 2.30pm - 4pm, each afternoon tea includes: - tea/coffee - finger sandwiches - selection of Craigie's homemade goodies All for only £5.99 per person! Call 0131 3191048 to book or just turn up between 2.30pm and 4pm!10 hours ago
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Who's bringing their nature detectives to the farm this weekend?11 hours ago
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Have you heard about the pick and mix deal at our Butchery? You can choose 7 items for £26. Why not fill your freezer?16 hours ago
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Have you had the chance to Pick Your Own Eggs yet?21 hours ago
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Did you know there are downloadable recipe cards on our website? Let us know what you've been making!about a day ago
- Find us on Facebook