Edinburgh Cake Ladies cake accident
Last night I was lucky enough to attend another gathering of the Edinburgh Cake Ladies at Craigie’s Farm. I’ll be writing a post with all the photos later tonight but wanted to share my misfortune just now.
My St Clement’s cake has been the subject of many issues over the last few days. When making the cakes on Monday night, I accidentally dropped a bit of egg shell into the mixer while it was on. Instead of turning the mixers off straight away I panicked and turned the dial to full speed, spreading tiny bits of egg shell throughout the mixture. Time to start again!
Then on Tuesday night I got a tad distracted while making sugar coated oranges and lemons to decorate the cake which resulted in some very sad, slightly caramelised citrus fruits! Time to improvise!
But after two evenings (and a few challenges) my cake was ready to go. With the orange and lemon cakes sandwiched together with lemon curd, orange curd and mascapone cream, it was finally complete. Off to Craigie’s we went!
The cake was devoured with only one slice remaining at the end of the night. In a haze of other people’s stunning cakes I completely forgot about taking my own cake home and had already filled my Tupperware with other people’s delicious cakes. The remains of my cake would have to survive on the front seat of my car without Tupperware protection…which of course it didn’t!
I may have braked a little suddenly at a junction on the way home! Let’s just say I had to do a bit of unexpected cleaning last night!
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Kwan's Kitchen Tasting This Saturday!
Join us this Saturday from 11am-2pm when we will have Steven from Kwans Kitchen in the shop doing some tastings for you to try their tasty products!
If you haven't tried their range of delicious stir fry kits yet - you're in for a treat! They're great for simple mid week meals and serve 2 in only 10 minutes!
Come along on Saturday and try them for yourself!
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe CRAIGIES NOMINATED FOR BBC RADIO 4 AWARDS We have received a few emails and messages from clients saying they have nominated Craigies for ‘The Radio 4 You and Yours Best Food Retailer’ on the BBC Food Award for 2015. If you would like to help us with a few more, we would be very grateful. Thanks again for all your support John Food and Farming Awards - BBC Food & Farming Awards - Nominate here - BBC Radio 4
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe We still have amazing discounts on our own Craigie's Pork!
Don't miss out - pop in this weekend and treat yourself to some delicious pork, produced right here on the farm!
Make sure to ask our butcher about our Pork Taster Packs too!
Only available while stocks last - why not stock up and keep some in the freezer?
- Vohn's Vittles Just tried Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe new handmade courgette and couscous fritters. Packed full of delicious flavours with a wicked kick of chilli!
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe If you're heading out for lunch today, we'll be serving our delicious Steak Pie in the cafe!
Our tasty steak pie is made from succulent steak covered in our own gravy and slow cooked for a minimum of 14 hours - topped with handmade artisan pastry! Delicious!
We hope to see you soon!
- Find us on Facebook