Edinburgh Cake Ladies cake accident
Last night I was lucky enough to attend another gathering of the Edinburgh Cake Ladies at Craigie’s Farm. I’ll be writing a post with all the photos later tonight but wanted to share my misfortune just now.
My St Clement’s cake has been the subject of many issues over the last few days. When making the cakes on Monday night, I accidentally dropped a bit of egg shell into the mixer while it was on. Instead of turning the mixers off straight away I panicked and turned the dial to full speed, spreading tiny bits of egg shell throughout the mixture. Time to start again!
Then on Tuesday night I got a tad distracted while making sugar coated oranges and lemons to decorate the cake which resulted in some very sad, slightly caramelised citrus fruits! Time to improvise!
But after two evenings (and a few challenges) my cake was ready to go. With the orange and lemon cakes sandwiched together with lemon curd, orange curd and mascapone cream, it was finally complete. Off to Craigie’s we went!
The cake was devoured with only one slice remaining at the end of the night. In a haze of other people’s stunning cakes I completely forgot about taking my own cake home and had already filled my Tupperware with other people’s delicious cakes. The remains of my cake would have to survive on the front seat of my car without Tupperware protection…which of course it didn’t!
I may have braked a little suddenly at a junction on the way home! Let’s just say I had to do a bit of unexpected cleaning last night!
What's Going On
Pick Your Own
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe A few people have been asking what's in our £5 Xmas Veg boxes so we thought we'd share...
This wholesome box of seasonal veg will serve 5 for two meals.
And you'll find the perfect recipe for leek and potato soup here http://www.craigies.co.uk/cafe/recipes
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe If you’re looking for a delicious but simple dish for Sunday lunch this weekend, check out this mouth-watering recipe from Jamie Oliver for Roast rib with garlic and rosemary which is complemented perfectly with golden roasties!
Click here to check it out on our website - http://www.craigies.co.uk/forerib-garlic-rosemary
Don't forget - until Monday 30th November, enjoy 25% discount on our grass fed beef rib roast. Just head to our butchery counter on your next visit!
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe It's time for Cake of the Week!
This week we have a classic - vanilla buttercream Victoria sponge with homemade raspberry jam - yum!
Who will be popping in for a slice?
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Join us this Saturday from 10am - 1.30pm when Christoper Trotter will be joining us for a book signing of his fantastic recipe books!
With fantastic recipe ideas for beetroot, courgette and kale, you'll never again be stuck for what to do with them!
Do you have any of your own delicious recipes?
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Which do you prefer? We're selling a selection of both sweet desserts and cheese-boards which you can order online as part of your festive order... Christmas Order Form | Craigies Farm
- Find us on Facebook