Edinburgh Cake Ladies cake accident
Last night I was lucky enough to attend another gathering of the Edinburgh Cake Ladies at Craigie’s Farm. I’ll be writing a post with all the photos later tonight but wanted to share my misfortune just now.
My St Clement’s cake has been the subject of many issues over the last few days. When making the cakes on Monday night, I accidentally dropped a bit of egg shell into the mixer while it was on. Instead of turning the mixers off straight away I panicked and turned the dial to full speed, spreading tiny bits of egg shell throughout the mixture. Time to start again!
Then on Tuesday night I got a tad distracted while making sugar coated oranges and lemons to decorate the cake which resulted in some very sad, slightly caramelised citrus fruits! Time to improvise!
But after two evenings (and a few challenges) my cake was ready to go. With the orange and lemon cakes sandwiched together with lemon curd, orange curd and mascapone cream, it was finally complete. Off to Craigie’s we went!
The cake was devoured with only one slice remaining at the end of the night. In a haze of other people’s stunning cakes I completely forgot about taking my own cake home and had already filled my Tupperware with other people’s delicious cakes. The remains of my cake would have to survive on the front seat of my car without Tupperware protection…which of course it didn’t!
I may have braked a little suddenly at a junction on the way home! Let’s just say I had to do a bit of unexpected cleaning last night!
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe If you're planning on popping in this weekend, make sure you pick up some fresh rhubarb! Looks like Spring may be just around the corner after all...7 hours ago
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Thinking about going out for lunch this weekend? Why not pop in to Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe where we source most of our ingredients from our own farm shop! Click on the link to browse our menus and see if anything takes your fancy. We even have a menu for dogs so they can come along too! Menus12 hours ago
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Remember it's British Pie week this week and we have lots going on in our farm shop and cafe. We have tastings of Simple Simon pies and few unexpected pies such as pork & rhubarb, pork, Stornaway black pudding & smoked cheese pies on our deli counter, freshly made in our kitchen! Pie week finishes on Sunday so make sure you visit and try our delicious pies before they're gone!about a day ago
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Hoping to pop into see us this weekend? Make sure you check out our new range of herbs from the 'Secret Herb Garden'! They are a local supplier from the outskirts of Edinburgh and they grow almost every herb you can think of! You'll be sure to find the perfect accompaniment to any dish!2 days ago
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe We still have loads of pies left for British pie week! We'll be doing hot tastings of our Simple Simon pies - you can buy these in the shop too. Check out our deli where we will be selling lots of weird and wonderful pies. We're also going to be making home made picnic pies! We hope to see you soon!2 days ago
- Find us on Facebook