Over the years Craigie Farm has been used as a site by BTO (British Trust for Ornithology) volunteers to record bird numbers. Clive Walton has been conected to Craigie Farm for a number of years.
Below is Clive's latest report:
It is difficult to draw too many conclusions from a simple comparison of two years, partly because of varying ringing effort and partly becuse of differences in the feeding regime. However, from what we have from ringing and other observations we can conclude the following:
West Craigie in winter
- Sustains good number of over-wintering birds including continental migrant Chaffinches, Robins and Blackbirds as well as residents of those species.
- Is important for maintaining local farmbird bird populations whose species overall are classed as birds of conservation concern due to national declines: Yellowhammer, Tree Sparrow, Dunnock and Linnet.
- Sustains a small population of skylark and is important for Crows, Jackdaws and Rooks
- There has been an increase in the number of Great Tits using the farm
- There has been an increase in the number of Blue Tits using the farm
House Sparrows seem to have gone down. It is difficult to say why but it reflects national trends.
It is worth noting that the data from ringing (not just number of birds but also biometrical data collected) all goes towards the British Trust for Ornithology's national database monitoring of birds so it is part of a bigger picture too.
Clive Walton Feb 2011
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Make sure you check out our deli counter on your visit!
We have lots of delicious delights for you to try, including our Sweet Potato and Feta Salad - drizzled with a honey, olive oil and coriander dressing!
Fiona who works on our deli counter loves this salad and says that you can eat it warm - just heat in a warm oven for 15 minutes!
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Craigies Farm February Newsletter #constantcontact t.co
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Craigies Farm February Newsletter Craigies Farm February Newsletter
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe If you're looking for a simple but delicious dish to cook this weekend then make sure you check out our tasty Sweet and Sour Pork!
This is really easy to do but very tasty and takes less than 30 mins to prepare and cook!
We also have a discount on our delicious Craigie's pork available on our butchery counter - so we've got you covered this weekend!
Check out our website for our recipe:
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe
- Find us on Facebook