Over the years Craigie Farm has been used as a site by BTO (British Trust for Ornithology) volunteers to record bird numbers. Clive Walton has been conected to Craigie Farm for a number of years.
Below is Clive's latest report:
It is difficult to draw too many conclusions from a simple comparison of two years, partly because of varying ringing effort and partly becuse of differences in the feeding regime. However, from what we have from ringing and other observations we can conclude the following:
West Craigie in winter
- Sustains good number of over-wintering birds including continental migrant Chaffinches, Robins and Blackbirds as well as residents of those species.
- Is important for maintaining local farmbird bird populations whose species overall are classed as birds of conservation concern due to national declines: Yellowhammer, Tree Sparrow, Dunnock and Linnet.
- Sustains a small population of skylark and is important for Crows, Jackdaws and Rooks
- There has been an increase in the number of Great Tits using the farm
- There has been an increase in the number of Blue Tits using the farm
House Sparrows seem to have gone down. It is difficult to say why but it reflects national trends.
It is worth noting that the data from ringing (not just number of birds but also biometrical data collected) all goes towards the British Trust for Ornithology's national database monitoring of birds so it is part of a bigger picture too.
Clive Walton Feb 2011
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Tractor & Trailer Rides available this weekend for PYO Apples!
We will be running our trailer rides again this Saturday and Sunday for those who would like to PYO apples.
They will be operating 11am-4pm Sat & Sun leaving from the strawberry hut down to the apple orchard and then back again!
Baskets will be available from the shop and there will be a minimum £2 per person which is redeemable against any fruit picked on the day. The £2 per person will need to be paid before going on the tractor and trailer rides.
Please note, the tractor and trailer rides are only for those doing PYO Apples
We hope you can make it along for some apple picking!
- Mond Katze
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe We are delighted to welcome our new supplier here at Craigie's - The Ferry Brewery!
A local brewery based in South Queensferry, their range has proven to be very popular since opening in June this year!
Available to buy in our shop is: Ferry Fair, 40/- and Ferry Witches Brew!
And you can also taste the fantastic range at our Cheese, beer & cider event on 28th October! https://www.facebook.com/events/190320801401141/
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Our fantastic September offers end this week!
Last chance to stock up on your dairy items with this great offer from the award winning Graham's Family Dairy!
- Find us on Facebook