Over the years Craigie Farm has been used as a site by BTO (British Trust for Ornithology) volunteers to record bird numbers. Clive Walton has been conected to Craigie Farm for a number of years.
Below is Clive's latest report:
It is difficult to draw too many conclusions from a simple comparison of two years, partly because of varying ringing effort and partly becuse of differences in the feeding regime. However, from what we have from ringing and other observations we can conclude the following:
West Craigie in winter
- Sustains good number of over-wintering birds including continental migrant Chaffinches, Robins and Blackbirds as well as residents of those species.
- Is important for maintaining local farmbird bird populations whose species overall are classed as birds of conservation concern due to national declines: Yellowhammer, Tree Sparrow, Dunnock and Linnet.
- Sustains a small population of skylark and is important for Crows, Jackdaws and Rooks
- There has been an increase in the number of Great Tits using the farm
- There has been an increase in the number of Blue Tits using the farm
House Sparrows seem to have gone down. It is difficult to say why but it reflects national trends.
It is worth noting that the data from ringing (not just number of birds but also biometrical data collected) all goes towards the British Trust for Ornithology's national database monitoring of birds so it is part of a bigger picture too.
Clive Walton Feb 2011
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Design Your Own Egg Competition!
What a response we’ve had to our other competition! Seen as Easter really is for the kids, we don’t want them to miss out! That’s why we've decided to launch another competition for the kids to WIN an Easter hamper!
For them to be in with the chance of winning - head to our website, download our “design your egg” colouring sheet and get them to design their own egg! http://www.craigies.co.uk/news/201503/design-your-easter-egg-competition
Or if you want to be really creative, we are selling chocolate egg making kits in the shop in which means they can create their own chocolate Easter creation! See our video in the following link – https://youtu.be/LD4SQ7d7wp4 - it’s really easy and very fun to do! A great idea for Easter Sunday? These are £9.99 each
You can either post a photo of their entries onto our facebook page, send a photo to email@example.com or simply hand in the entries to someone here at Craigie’s.
The colouring sheets will be available in the café/shop too so they can take part while you enjoy a nice coffee!
The winner will be selected at random and announced on Monday 20th April so there’s plenty time during the Easter Holidays for them to get their entries in!
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Have you seen our tasty COMPETITION to win some delicious olives from Silver & Green?
Thanks to Silver & Green who will be here at Craigie’s on Sunday 5th April offering tastings of their range of olives, they have kindly given us free packets of their delicious olives to give away in a competition!
We have 6 packets in total to give away so 3 lucky winners will receive 2 packets each!
All you have to do to be in with the chance of winning is:
1. Like our facebook page
2. Like this post
3. Share this post
It’s that simple!
Also, we would love it if you left a comment below telling us what you accompany your olives with!
Winners will be selected at random and announced on Saturday 4th April!
Good luck everyone!
- Find us on Facebook