Over the years Craigie Farm has been used as a site by BTO (British Trust for Ornithology) volunteers to record bird numbers. Clive Walton has been conected to Craigie Farm for a number of years.
Below is Clive's latest report:
It is difficult to draw too many conclusions from a simple comparison of two years, partly because of varying ringing effort and partly becuse of differences in the feeding regime. However, from what we have from ringing and other observations we can conclude the following:
West Craigie in winter
- Sustains good number of over-wintering birds including continental migrant Chaffinches, Robins and Blackbirds as well as residents of those species.
- Is important for maintaining local farmbird bird populations whose species overall are classed as birds of conservation concern due to national declines: Yellowhammer, Tree Sparrow, Dunnock and Linnet.
- Sustains a small population of skylark and is important for Crows, Jackdaws and Rooks
- There has been an increase in the number of Great Tits using the farm
- There has been an increase in the number of Blue Tits using the farm
House Sparrows seem to have gone down. It is difficult to say why but it reflects national trends.
It is worth noting that the data from ringing (not just number of birds but also biometrical data collected) all goes towards the British Trust for Ornithology's national database monitoring of birds so it is part of a bigger picture too.
Clive Walton Feb 2011
What's Going On
Pick Your Own
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe We're very excited about our new additions to the Craigie's Jam Kitchen for the festive season!
Our new lemon chutney is great with cheese or cold cuts and would be a fantastic accompaniment on a cheese board!
What do you like to accompany your cheese with?
We will also be introducing our cherries in brandy which are perfect for any home baking you may be doing to the festive season!
Also keep an eye out for our new range of fruit curds coming soon!
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe A few people have been asking what's in our £5 Xmas Veg boxes so we thought we'd share...
This wholesome box of seasonal veg will serve 5 for two meals.
And you'll find the perfect recipe for leek and potato soup here http://www.craigies.co.uk/cafe/recipes
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe If you’re looking for a delicious but simple dish for Sunday lunch this weekend, check out this mouth-watering recipe from Jamie Oliver for Roast rib with garlic and rosemary which is complemented perfectly with golden roasties!
Click here to check it out on our website - http://www.craigies.co.uk/forerib-garlic-rosemary
Don't forget - until Monday 30th November, enjoy 25% discount on our grass fed beef rib roast. Just head to our butchery counter on your next visit!
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe It's time for Cake of the Week!
This week we have a classic - vanilla buttercream Victoria sponge with homemade raspberry jam - yum!
Who will be popping in for a slice?
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Join us this Saturday from 10am - 1.30pm when Christoper Trotter will be joining us for a book signing of his fantastic recipe books!
With fantastic recipe ideas for beetroot, courgette and kale, you'll never again be stuck for what to do with them!
Do you have any of your own delicious recipes?
- Find us on Facebook