Over the years Craigie Farm has been used as a site by BTO (British Trust for Ornithology) volunteers to record bird numbers. Clive Walton has been conected to Craigie Farm for a number of years.
Below is Clive's latest report:
It is difficult to draw too many conclusions from a simple comparison of two years, partly because of varying ringing effort and partly becuse of differences in the feeding regime. However, from what we have from ringing and other observations we can conclude the following:
West Craigie in winter
- Sustains good number of over-wintering birds including continental migrant Chaffinches, Robins and Blackbirds as well as residents of those species.
- Is important for maintaining local farmbird bird populations whose species overall are classed as birds of conservation concern due to national declines: Yellowhammer, Tree Sparrow, Dunnock and Linnet.
- Sustains a small population of skylark and is important for Crows, Jackdaws and Rooks
- There has been an increase in the number of Great Tits using the farm
- There has been an increase in the number of Blue Tits using the farm
House Sparrows seem to have gone down. It is difficult to say why but it reflects national trends.
It is worth noting that the data from ringing (not just number of birds but also biometrical data collected) all goes towards the British Trust for Ornithology's national database monitoring of birds so it is part of a bigger picture too.
Clive Walton Feb 2011
What's Going On
Pick Your Own
When's the fruit in season?
To see what is coming up and when it's ready...
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Bread Tasting This Weekend at Craigie's!
This Saturday from 10am-2pm, our bread baker Ian will give you an in depth talk about the art of baking bread.
He'll then tell you all the secrets of how to make artisan bread rise to its full potential! By the end of it, you'll be an expert too!
We hope to see you then!
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe It's Cake of the Week time!!
This week we have our delicious chocolate cake with fluffy
meringue icing, drizzled with melted chocolate on top - yum!
Pop in and treat yourself to a slice of chocolate heaven.
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe It's National BBQ Week this week, so why not get involved by visiting Rab in our Butchery department to get stocked up
I can whole heartedly recommend the award winning Auchtertool Angus Burger - plus its part of our awesome Pick n Mix. The best value pack going!!
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe With the fantastic pick n mix deal available on our butchery counter, you can choose from a delicious 7 items for only £26!
It’s also perfect for BBQ season with plenty of delicious sausages, burgers and steaks to choose from – keeping everyone happy at the family BBQ has never been so simple!
Now let's just keep our fingers crossed for some nicer weather!
- Find us on Facebook