Over the years Craigie Farm has been used as a site by BTO (British Trust for Ornithology) volunteers to record bird numbers. Clive Walton has been conected to Craigie Farm for a number of years.
Below is Clive's latest report:
It is difficult to draw too many conclusions from a simple comparison of two years, partly because of varying ringing effort and partly becuse of differences in the feeding regime. However, from what we have from ringing and other observations we can conclude the following:
West Craigie in winter
- Sustains good number of over-wintering birds including continental migrant Chaffinches, Robins and Blackbirds as well as residents of those species.
- Is important for maintaining local farmbird bird populations whose species overall are classed as birds of conservation concern due to national declines: Yellowhammer, Tree Sparrow, Dunnock and Linnet.
- Sustains a small population of skylark and is important for Crows, Jackdaws and Rooks
- There has been an increase in the number of Great Tits using the farm
- There has been an increase in the number of Blue Tits using the farm
House Sparrows seem to have gone down. It is difficult to say why but it reflects national trends.
It is worth noting that the data from ringing (not just number of birds but also biometrical data collected) all goes towards the British Trust for Ornithology's national database monitoring of birds so it is part of a bigger picture too.
Clive Walton Feb 2011
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Hi there!
If you're not too busy today, it would be really nice if you could come and visit me here at Craigie's Farm.
My mummy couldn't look after me so John and Kirsteen were really kind and are now looking after me and my brothers & sisters.
They feed us everyday at 11am and 3.30pm and they always need helpers - you don't even need to book, just pop along!
We really hope you can come and visit us today, we always like meeting new people!
Thank you, from the orphan lambs x
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe As the holidays are almost over, there's only a couple of days left to enter our Design your Egg Competition!
We're giving away a kids Easter hamper full of Craigie's goodies up for grabs for the best Easter Egg design!
For your kids to be in with the chance of winning - head to our website, download our “design your egg” colouring sheet from our website and get them to design their own egg! http://www.craigies.co.uk/…/design-your-easter-egg-competit…
Or if they fancy getting really creative, we are selling chocolate egg making kits in the shop in which means they can create their own chocolate Easter creation! It’s really easy and very fun to do! A great idea activity for the Easter Holidays? These are £9.99 each
You can either post a photo of their entries onto our facebook page, send a photo to firstname.lastname@example.org or simply hand in the entries to someone here at Craigie’s.
The colouring sheets will be available in the café/shop too so they can take part while you enjoy a nice coffee this weekend!
The winner will be selected at random and announced on Monday 20th April - Good luck!
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe The weather is meant to be nice again this weekend (fingers crossed!) so if you fancy making the most of it and getting some fresh air with the family, why not come and try our Nature Trails here at Craigie's!
Aimed at Primary aged children but fun for all the family, it's a great way to explore Craigie's Farm and the surrounding areas!
Head to our website for more info - http://www.craigies.co.uk/activities/walks-trails
And even better, it'll make you feel like you've earned your coffee and cake in the cafe afterwards!
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe If you're looking for a way to spend the last few days of the Easter Holidays, why not come and help us feed our little orphan lambs?
We feed them everyday at 11am and 3.30pm and we're always looking for little helpers to get involved and give us a hand (big helpers too!)
We hope you can come along and say hello - they're very friendly and they love meeting everyone!
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Drum roll please... Our Cake of the week is:
our delicious homemade cherry scones!!
Perfect with a brew and bleather!
- Find us on Facebook