Over the years Craigie Farm has been used as a site by BTO (British Trust for Ornithology) volunteers to record bird numbers. Clive Walton has been conected to Craigie Farm for a number of years.
Below is Clive's latest report:
It is difficult to draw too many conclusions from a simple comparison of two years, partly because of varying ringing effort and partly becuse of differences in the feeding regime. However, from what we have from ringing and other observations we can conclude the following:
West Craigie in winter
- Sustains good number of over-wintering birds including continental migrant Chaffinches, Robins and Blackbirds as well as residents of those species.
- Is important for maintaining local farmbird bird populations whose species overall are classed as birds of conservation concern due to national declines: Yellowhammer, Tree Sparrow, Dunnock and Linnet.
- Sustains a small population of skylark and is important for Crows, Jackdaws and Rooks
- There has been an increase in the number of Great Tits using the farm
- There has been an increase in the number of Blue Tits using the farm
House Sparrows seem to have gone down. It is difficult to say why but it reflects national trends.
It is worth noting that the data from ringing (not just number of birds but also biometrical data collected) all goes towards the British Trust for Ornithology's national database monitoring of birds so it is part of a bigger picture too.
Clive Walton Feb 2011
What's Going On
Pick Your Own
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Craigie's Education and Environment Project update! We are delighted that Dan Hay and his team from Alliance Creative are raising funds for Craigie’s Education and Environment Project by abseiling from the Forth Bridge on 26 June! You can support them through JustGiving by clicking on this link. Help Alliance raise more money for Craigie's Education and Environment Project!
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Cake of the Week is here again!
Say hello to our delicious Salted Caramel Peanut Slice
The perfect sweet treat for a Thursday - who fancies a slice?
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Highland Cookhouse competition update!
The 2 lucky winners of our competition - Helen Kelly and George Gordon - still haven't been in touch to collect their prize!
If anyone knows Helen or George, can you please ask them to get in touch with us! Many thanks :)
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe 20% off Puddledub Pork ends Saturday! Looking for some inspiration? This is a delicious recipe that we’ll definitely be trying – Roast Crispy Pork! A nice twist on a Sunday dinner, the end result is a delicious roast with crispy skin and a lovely Asian inspired marinade! Check it out now: Roast Crispy Pork | Craigies Farm Don't forget - our 20% discount on pork ends Saturday!
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Our Highland Cookhouse Offer ENDS this Saturday!!
Don't miss out on our fantastic 20% off Highland Cookhouse products when you buy 3 or more products from their range!
Ends Saturday so be quick!
- Find us on Facebook