Over the years Craigie Farm has been used as a site by BTO (British Trust for Ornithology) volunteers to record bird numbers. Clive Walton has been conected to Craigie Farm for a number of years.
Below is Clive's latest report:
It is difficult to draw too many conclusions from a simple comparison of two years, partly because of varying ringing effort and partly becuse of differences in the feeding regime. However, from what we have from ringing and other observations we can conclude the following:
West Craigie in winter
- Sustains good number of over-wintering birds including continental migrant Chaffinches, Robins and Blackbirds as well as residents of those species.
- Is important for maintaining local farmbird bird populations whose species overall are classed as birds of conservation concern due to national declines: Yellowhammer, Tree Sparrow, Dunnock and Linnet.
- Sustains a small population of skylark and is important for Crows, Jackdaws and Rooks
- There has been an increase in the number of Great Tits using the farm
- There has been an increase in the number of Blue Tits using the farm
House Sparrows seem to have gone down. It is difficult to say why but it reflects national trends.
It is worth noting that the data from ringing (not just number of birds but also biometrical data collected) all goes towards the British Trust for Ornithology's national database monitoring of birds so it is part of a bigger picture too.
Clive Walton Feb 2011
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Feeling peckish?
Why not try Craigies own pulled pork, brioche & apple sauce roll- yum !
Oh and the Brioche rolls are freshly handmade by our new bread baker Ian.
It doesn't get any better on a Sunday!!
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe Anyone fancy some of our Potato and chive salad with mayo and horseradish dressing today?
It's one of our favourites and it's available on the deli counter all weekend!
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe More Amazing Discounts on our Butchery Counter!
We have some more fantastic offers on the butchery counter this month!
With some delicious discounts on Auchtertool Angus beef from the Buffalo Farm, you’ll be spoiled for choice!
Our favourite is the Angus Beef Fillet – it was £42.50/kg but now it’s reduced to only £35.50/kg!
Ask Rab the butcher to cut you a delicious steak!
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe From carrot cake to chocolate cake, tray bakes to apple pie, Paula is always busy baking tasty treats to ruin our diets!
Check out our home baking display on your next visit to see what she's been making this week!
We can't get enough of her Millionaire's shortbread; it tastes heavenly! - What's your favourite cake or sweet treat here at Craigie's?
- Craigie's Farm Shop and Cafe If you're planning on popping in for lunch today, as well as our usual tasty dishes, we will be serving up some delicious homemade steak pie!
We hope you can pop in for a slice!
- Find us on Facebook